Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Guru a great blend gone too early

More into the cloud from my CD Collection.  In the mid 90's I was getting into Jazz.  Changing tastes and all but I have to admit sometimes it lacked the beat for me.  I found by accident Acid Jazz, they took jazz sounds and gave it a dance house beat.  This was a form of music I really dug, a branch of this style was Hip Hop and Jazz.  Guru was a giant in this style and I was really hoping it would catch on.  Unfortunately just like Jazz its not a music that is meant for the masses.

Jazzmataz Vol 1was Guru's offering in the world of Hip Hop and Jazz.  It is a wonderful blend of smooth jazz, hip hop beats and a on point rap delivery.  The introduction is a clever way of introducing the album that leads right into the track, Loungin.  The first guest star Donald Byrd on trumpet is great on the track and sets the feeling for the cd.  Transit Ride is another standout track with Branford Marsalis it is a great view of New York City through Guru's eyes.  Finally Take A Look is fun, it has a vibraphone and a rap aimed a certain Anglo rapper from the late 80.

Guru put out 3 more Jazzmataz albums, none of them really took off.  Unfortunately Guru passed away 2010. I was happy to rediscover this cd and for anyone who wants a interesting blend of styles.

Til next time listen to the best your ears deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment