Sunday, August 30, 2015

Chickenfoot what I expected a few years later

The 80's where a great time for hard Rock.  One of the bands that ruled the age was Van Halen.  I remember a friend gave me their first album it was a master piece of ROCK. By the time I got into high school the album 1984 came out for Van Halen. I was less than thrilled, keyboards on the album and not just filler music keyboard solos.  What happened to the Monsters of Rock?  Then Dave went solo found his own guitar genius Steve Vai and put out some fun music.  Guitar driven over the top flamboyant style that we knew from Mr. Roth.  To the outside observer thank God he is gone David was keeping the band back.

For the next album Van Halen was going to add Sammy Hagar, Holy Sh#t I was stoked.  The Red Rocker, the guy who wrote I Can't Drive 55, Heavy Metal and 3 Lock Box, old Guitar driven Van Halen is back. Then 5150 came out.  I have grown to like the album now, but then I was meh.  It's a good rock album but not what I thought it should sound like.  Van Hagar, as they were known, put a few more albums most solid rock albums.  Then the public found out who the real snake in Van Halen was.

Eddie Van Halen is an innovator and a monster on the guitar, but as a person what came out about him is pretty terrible.  He threw Sammy under the bus, and then a few years latter he threw the most underrated Bass player Michael Anthony the same place.  Now lead singers and lead guitarist have always had tenuous relationships in most bands but Michael Anthony has never gotten into the mudslinging and drama that has seemed to follow Van Halen.

Sammy and Michael still played together and jammed in Cabo at Sammy's club.Ah to be 10-20 years younger and to hang out there.  They brought on Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and a Guitarist that more than holds his own with Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani.  Chickenfoot was born.  I bought the album and what I thought I would hear 30 years ago was there.  Guitar driven songs and almost a hard rock jam band feel.  What I feel makes this band superior to Van Hagar is that all the musicians work together not in competition for the lime light.

If you want to hear a great rock band Chickenfoot is the way to go.
Til next time be good to your ears they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment