Monday, January 9, 2017

Halestorm 3 take on Covers

I discovered Halestorm many years ago, actually 11 years ago with their first self titled release.  The song I Get Off got me hooked.  It has been great to see the band grow and become a mainstream of Modern Hard Rock, especially since the band is fronted by one Lizzy Hale.

I have talked about Women in rock and the strong foothold they have taken in the 21st Century.  One of the leading bands in the new wave has been Halestorm.  The band writes strong songs with driving guitar work and insightful lyrics.  I highly recommend any of their releases, but this review is about the latest of three EPs of cover work.

Starting in 2011 with the release of Reanimate Halestorm their first of their cover EP's.  I have mentioned in earlier posts that one of the great things about Modern Hard Rock and Metal is the respect they show to the bands from the 80's and 90's with covers.  The other thing that the Reanimate EPs and others in the Modern Hard rock community have done is cover current Pop songs.  The first EP has a astounding cover of Bad Romance by Lady Gaga and the current has a unique take on Heathens by 21 Pilots.  I have to say the stand out track for the three EPs is the cover of Pat Benatar's Hell is For Children.  Lizzy does justice in tribute to a female pioneer of Hard Rock.

The band shows their range by covering all periods of music; giving tribute while keeping the bands own flavor at the same time.  I only have one of sort of criticism, I wish they did the full cover of Still of the Night by Whitesnake. Lizzy sounds great on it but I want the full orchestra on all that Whitesnake had.  Other than that very minor critique of the EPs I wholeheartedly recommend you give them a listen.

Til next time,  listen to the best - your ears deserve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment